Public Liability Claims

Occupiers Liability Claims

In Western Australia occupiers liability laws offer protection for people injured in an accident that occurs on public or private property. If you have been injured somewhere other than at work or in a motor vehicle accident you may be entitled to make an occupier’s  liability claim.

These are claims for damages for personal injuries arising as a result of the negligence of an occupier of premises.  These claims are governed by the provisions of the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1985, the Civil Liability Act 2002 and the Limitation Act 2005.

You will need to prove the existence of a danger on the premises that is the cause of your injury and for which the occupier of the premises can be held responsible/negligent.

Currently the Civil Liability Act 2002 does not allow for damages for damages for personal injuries to be awarded for the physical aspects of the injury if the award falls to be assessed under $19,500.00.


What kind of injuries can occupiers liability claims address?

Public liability and occupiers liability claims cover:

  • Injuries sustained at shopping centres including slips and falls
  • Falls on public or private property including parks, gardens and footpaths
  • Schoolyard and playground accidents
  • Injuries sustained whilst participating in sporting activities
  • Injuries caused by animals, e.g dog attacks
  • Food poisoning

Ian Watson has been practicing in this area of law, for more than 30 years, and can provide to you with expert advice when it comes to investigating and pursuing a loss caused by medical negligence.

Make Contact


08 9721 8377

Consultations are by appointment
and you can contact Ian directly for an initial cost free telephone enquiry.


Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation